Monday, February 2, 2009

Alyssa and Her Hives


Well, after taking Alyssa to the doctor last week and getting antibiotics in her by Thursday night, I thought she was on the road to recovery. I had to work both Saturday and Sunday, so I was happy that she would be getting BETTER by then. Wrong! Saturday just before I was leaving for work I noticed that she was COVERED in red splotchy hives from head to toe. I called and left the doctor on-call a message and waited for him to call back. He called in a prescription for a steroid and said it was probably a virus, not a reaction to the antibiotics. So I went to work, leaving BJ to deal with the aftermath. Alyssa ended up getting a fever on top of everything. He went to Walgreens to get the steroids, and then made another trip because our Tylenol AND Motrin had both expired in the fall (shows how often we actually need to use them!) He tried to give Alyssa medicine to make her "itchies" stop and her fever go away. She decided that medicine didn't taste good, gagged and threw up four times. Poor BJ! Needless to say I got phone calls for help. He finally convinced her to keep the medicine down by bribing her with a sucker. She is sleeping when I get home. Sunday morning she wakes up with even more hives than before-almost a solid red on some parts! I try to get all the medicine in her before I leave this time, but she still spits out the steroids. We both have to work and BJ's parents come over to try to handle everything. BJ's mom gave Alyssa an oatmeal bath to help with the itching. It did help her forget the itching (yeah Grandma!). She woke up 4 times between 1am and 3am this morning, crying and itching. The hives don't really go away much, so this morning I took her to the doctor again. From the urine culture sent to the lab, they have determined that the infection she has is resistant to the antibiotics she is on, so he changes that (hopefully she is not allergic to it since 5% of kids who are allergic to penicillin like she is, are also allergic to this one). They give her a SHOT to get rid of the hives, and tell me to hold off on the new medicine a day until the hives go away, just in case she breaks out from the medicine. Alyssa cries at the office, and then everytime I say the word shot for the next 4 hours. Then she tells me whenever she gets a chance the rest of the day that she doesn't like shots and doesn't want to go back to the doctor. What will she say when we go next Friday for her 5 year checkup? Good news-no more breathing treatments because her lungs sound good!

No comments:

Post a Comment